Every parent is concerned with their children, which is why health occupies most of their worries. When the fever sets in, you get a little scared and think the worst of it. Even if it’s just a common cold or teething. Our minds are designed to wonder whenever something bad happens.
Fever itself is not a disease but a symptom of an underlying condition. It’s important to know when your child has it, so you know what measures to take. It is just as important to know the level of the fever. A slight fever can mean anything, but if the temperature is too high, then you need to seek emergency medical assistance. The value on the thermometer can say a lot about the child’s condition. Always keep in mind that high fever can lead to brain damage, so never keep your child at home in case that happens.
Since there is no other way of telling, all you need is a thermometer. There are different models on the market, but the one I find most useful and easy to use is the forehead thermometer.
The advantages of using a forehead thermometer
A forehead thermometer comes with a great deal of benefits. I, for one, prefer this model for a number of reasons. The one that goes in the mouth is not very accurate because you always have to add some degrees. It does not tell the temperature of the core. Plus, You can’t get a 6-month old to hold it in his mouth. Rectal thermometers are uncomfortable and invasive. They too are not very accurate, again because of the core temperature. The most useful are the ear and forehead thermometer, which is why it is my favorite. Here is why.
- It is less invasive than other models. You don’t have to stick it anywhere, for one. I can only imagine how uncomfortable that is. And try to use them on a sleeping baby, if you can. But the forehead thermometer barely touches the child and is still able to show the temperature accurately. It’s not as uncomfortable as the other models, and chances are the baby won’t even budge while sleeping.
- It’s very easy to use. As I said before, you don’t have to struggle to keep the thermometer in a child’s mouth or rectum. Let’s say that a baby may take it, but try to use a rectal thermometer on a 9-year old who gets embarrassed. A forehead thermometer is simple to use. Just slide it over the child’s forehead and you are done. The whole thing lasts few seconds. As you may well know, a rectal or a mouth thermometer must stay in for a couple of minutes. A feverish, agitated baby will not stay still. The rest you can imagine.
- A forehead thermometer is a lot more accurate than others. That is because the temporal artery emits the heat from the skin, and the thermometer can pick it up with ease. Also, new technology is being developed as we speak. Now we have forehead thermometers with infrared that can pick up even the slightest fever.
- It is less dangerous. I don’t know if you ever had the chance, but until recently, thermometers used mercury to read the body’s temperature. I think they still make those for some reason. The point is that when your baby has a fever, you may get distracted and leave the thermometer within the child’s reach, or other kids’ reach. If that breaks, let’s just say that you have one guaranteed trip to the emergency room. Mercury poisoning is not something to be toyed with.
What to look for in the best forehead thermometer
Just like any other product, there are hundreds of them available for purchase.Not all of them are worth your money, though. Cheap products will not only last very few years, but they might even be inaccurate. Here is what you must look for in a forehead thermometer.
- Let’s start with an aspect that most parents (mostly mothers) are concerned with, and that is whether the thermometer is a medical device approved by the FDA. You may wonder why that is necessary. The simplest answer is that anything that has been endorsed by the FDA surely is checked for certain Not all manufacturers can produce medical devices because of factory conditions and many other reasons, but even manufacturers that make medical devices must be checked to see if their products meet some criteria. It’s not like I, who I own a toy factory, just for the sake of argument, decide that from tomorrow I will produce thermometers. That is not possible. An FDA-approved stamp also means that the materials used are BPA free ad there are no other toxins that may harm you or your child.
- Dual-mode – there are a lot of models that can measure both forehead and ear temperature. That comes in handy, and the modes are used according to age. One does not take longer than the other to measure the temperature, and the difference is not significant. However, it’s better to have two modes, rather than one.
- Ease of use – I know that it sounds silly to consider a forehead thermometer difficult to use, but it is possible. You need just one or two buttons, and that’s it. You don’t need to explore settings and such. One to turn it on, and one (or even the same in some cases), to change the mode. Measuring the temperature should be fast and easy. Otherwise, what is the point of such a smart thermometer?
- Accuracy – this one is crucial, I don’t even know why I left it for last. Accuracy can go a long way. It can make the difference between a slight fever and a full-blown fever. You cannot risk when it comes to this. For example, doctors know very well when it’s the case to worry. If the body temperature is over 100.4, that is a fever (in children), but if it gets to 101, then the underlying condition may be more severe than you initially The point is that it can make a difference and should not be overlooked. Ideally, you should go for a thermometer that has an infrared lens. That is currently the most accurate forehead thermometer on the market.
What are the best forehead thermometers?
Now that you know what the criteria are, you can easily go online and shop for one. Pay attention for high-quality products. Even if they are a little bit more expensive, just think that they will last for many years to come. Also, you cannot put a price on accuracy. Here are a few examples that will make your task a little bit easier. They have great customers’ reviews.
Innovo Medical Forehead and Ear Thermometer
The Innovo thermometer will accompany your child from infancy to adulthood. It is a high-tech piece of medical equipment that was first available to medical professionals but has been released to the general public. It isa dual mode thermometer that can measure the temperature via ear and forehead. The recommendation is that you don’t use it as an ear thermometer until a baby reaches the age of 1 year old, but after that, it is entirely safe.
This product works using the latest infrared detection technology. It is accurate and reliable, no need to worry that it will read wrong. The manufacturer updated the software recently and programmed the device to read faster. There is no waiting time between measurements, and it is very easy to use. Just slide the thermometer along the forehead, and the device will read the temperature in a matter of seconds. Pres F1 to use as a forehead thermometerand F2 to measure the temperature via the ear.
Just in case you want to keep track of your baby’s fever, the Innovo has a memory recall of 20 readings. The temperature is displayed in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The materials that it is made of are safe and hygienic. There are no toxins in the plastic. It is very comfortable to hold because the design is ergonomic. The Innovo thermometer uses 2 AAA batteries as a power source, but don’t think that you have to change them anytime soon. They will last thousands of readings because the device uses very little energy. What I like about this thermometer is that it has an alarm that tells you that your child indeed has a fever. It will make a beeping sound every time the temperature is over 98.6º F. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Dr. Madre Medical Infrared Talking Forehead Thermometer
When I first stumbled upon this product, I couldn’t believe how fast it is. It can read the temperature in just one second. You don’t even have to touch the baby’s forehead to do it. It uses infrared technology that is able to read even the slightest fever. Furthermore, it measures the temperature of the environments as well, so it can’t be wrong. It is highly accurate, and mistakes are impossible to make.
What I like about Dr. Madre is that it can be used without even touching the baby. When you have a sick, fussy baby, the last thing you need is to wake him up because you have to check the temperature. But with this thermometer, you don’t need to bother anyone in order to do that. It will accurately do its readings contactless. If you want to keep track of your baby’s fever, the thermometer can display the last 12 readings, so you don’t have to write it down.
One of the most useful features of Dr. Madre thermometer is that it can talk to you. You won’t be having elaborate conversations, of course, but it will tell the temperature out loud. It comes in handy if the lighting is not very good. However, if you don’t want to wake the baby or anyone else, you can set it to silent mode. The display is backlighted anyway. Also, the device is bilingual. It can tell temperature in both English and Spanish.
Dr. Madre forehead thermometer is very easy to use. You are given clear instructions in English and Spanish. Celsius and Fahrenheit are both available. It beeps when it’s done. It’s one of the easiest to use thermometers. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
iProven DMT-489 Medical Ear Thermometer with Forehead Function
iProven is just as consistent and reliable as the last two thermometers I talked about. It’s dual-function so you can use it just as you like. Doctors recommend that babies under the age of 1 should not be subjected to ear measurement of the temperature, but you have the forehead function to back you up. In my opinion, the forehead function is the easiest one to use, even if the baby is more than 1 year old.
This thermometer was designed for medical facilities, but the manufacturer has chosen to release it on the general market because of its efficiency. It has a revolutionized calibration technology that cannot fail. The temperature is measured with unfailing accuracy, and the results are fast. The device will display the temperature in just one second.
The iProven is very easy to use. It has just two buttons that you can use to set the mode you want, ear or forehead. The beep will announce when it’s done. When the thermometer detects a temperature high enough to indicate a fever, it will alert you using an alarm. You will be able to distinguish the two sounds. To keep track of you child’s fever, you can use the memory recall feature. It memorizes 20 readings. The product is FDA approved.
All three products are worth their price, but the one I prefer is Dr. Madre. Physicians all over recommend it. I like the features, especially the fact that it can say the temperature out loud in two languages. Its accuracy and reliability make me think that this is one of the best forehead thermometers on the market.
A forehead thermometer is a very useful item to have around the house. Children get sick all the time, and it’s best if you know ahead what to do and how to manage the situation. A thermometer can help you do that. It will help you monitor and treat even the slightest fever, and it will give you some peace of mind. Click here to buy on Amazon
- What You Must Know About Thermometer Baby
- What You Don’t Know About Exergen Temporal Scanner May Shock You
- Outrageous Exergen Thermometer Tips
- Unanswered Questions About Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer You Should Think About
- The Ugly Side of Rectal Thermometer
- The Top Secret Truth on Ear Thermometer Exposed
- Braun Forehead Thermometer – the Story
- The Temporal Thermometer Diaries
- What You Don’t Know About Best Baby Thermometer
- Things You Won’t Like About Baby Thermometer and Things You Will
- The Hidden Secret of Forehead Thermometer
- Un-Answered Questions Into Best Thermometer for Adults Exposed
- Here’s What I Know About Temple Thermometer
- Important Solutions for Braun No Touch Forehead Thermometer
- The Hidden Truth About Infant Thermometer
- Head Thermometer Explained
- One of the Most Incredibly Neglected Answers for Braun Baby Thermometer
- The Ultimate Solution for Innovo Forehead and Ear Thermometer
- The Start of Digital Thermometer Baby
- What Everybody Else Does When It Comes to Baby Thermometer Reviews and What You Should Be Doing Different
- What Has to be Done About Braun No Touch Thermometer Before You Miss Your Chance
- The Good, the Bad and Baby Ear Thermometer
- Read What the Experts Think About Best Thermometer
- The Touch Thermometer Game
- The Hidden Truth About Thermometer for Baby
- Best Temporal Thermometer Help!
- Baby Forehead Thermometer Ideas
- How to Find Thermometer Forehead Online
- Life After Thermometer for Kids
- Top Best Infant Thermometer Choices
- The Definitive Guide to Best Thermometer for Kids
- The Benefits of Exergen Temporal Thermometer
- Top Temporal Artery Thermometer Choices
- The Most Disregarded Fact Regarding Best Ear Thermometer Revealed
- Best Thermometer for Baby – the Story